Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Raising a Boxing Ring


Here, By family I meant not parents but my uncles and grandparents..I have always been and taught to be obedient to grandparents and elders...Last time , when I visited my home , I historically broke the Rules...

My First Fight with my Family......


                                  Well, before getting into the boxing ring , Let me describe about my family...My family is matriarchal and my family members are largely, feminists except my Grandma....Thats the Only Problem in my family...As if that is nothing :P

                                  I went for a visit at my native place after my entrance exams...The first day itself was a bizarre....In the evening, I decided to pay a visit to my childhood-best friend's home..I was wearing a sleeveless top and Capri...Thats when Tony Uncle (The After-Marriage-Turned- Conservative of our Family) said to Grandma  to not allow me to go out in this short dress..My beloved Anti-Feminist Grandma, as if influenced by a spell, came to repeat his words...I was really annoyed..Annoyed , Not on my Grandma's advice but on the Irony Behind it....My Grandma was the most fashionable, classy Lady in our entire region...She made her daughters (my mom too) in absolute trendy dresses including Mini-Skirts at a time, when Ladies in my country was not even allowed  to go out of the house ......And That Grandma is now asking me to change my Knee-length Capri for some other Dress.......Huh???.....I knew that my Grandma didn't have any grudge against my Dress but she simply couldn't resist voicing her Son's complaint.....

                                   I was totally ferocious....First of all, Tony Uncle who was a feminist until his marriage to a conservative girl was actually indirectly asking me to dress-up like his bride's family....I belong to my family and I'm only asked to keep my family's Standard and lifestyle....Secondly, this was coming from my Super-Model Grandma who was appeasing her Son right now......

                                   Breaking all my obedience rules, I snapped at Them.....I said , "this dress doesn't have any problem...From where did you get this New Culture from??...." Then, I made my exit by saying , "Don't think I am unaware of the facts...I have seen my mom and all wearing a Mini-Skirt in the photos when they were young....."...My Grandma replied in a defensive tone..."Well, they wore it only in few occasions.....!!!" ....(few?...Isn't that enough?...)..I opened the door and turned ,only to see my audiences' frozen faces, and then, closed the door behind me....As I closed the door, suddenly , I heard a big commotion from inside....Without turning back, I went straight to my friend's house......

                                    I was desperate and depressed...I wasn't able to make a friendly conversation with my friend, Hanza... I hope I didn't bore her to death...Anyway, I came back  home...I was really worried at what's going to happen...Tony Uncle was not there..Thank God!!!....Grandma was in her usual mood...Wow, double advantage!!!....I quickly ringed up my mother and said to her that I was sad....She asked me to stay there till Saturday.."Saturday ??", I gasped...

                                    Like I expected, I wasn't going to be exculpated...When Tony Uncle got back, He was really frustrated and sad that I snapped at him..So, again, for 5 minutes , he preached about Decency...This time I let him win..I simply said to myself like DR.Manmohan Singh (PM of India) said, "Sometimes , Silence is Golden...."

No comments:

Post a Comment