Tuesday, January 15, 2013

My day in the hospital



              This was a poem that I wrote for Reading Hour Magazine. Apparently, It didn't got published but unlike my previous two attempts, I got a feedback by email. It said, ''Dear Jane, Thank you for writing - am sorry we can't publish the poem. All the best..." .. Was that a great feedback, I don't know.. Anyway, here's my poem about a typical Indian government hospital .....




 

                           My Day in the  Hospital…

                                                                                     
                                                                              By Jane Mary Kurian



A  cough,  A sneeze. And-
I  knew  what  I  was  looking  at.
A  Hospital, with  floors  swept  in  Eve’s  time,
walls  boasted  of  cobwebs,  Paans  and  gums .
“A  government  hospital  indeed,” I  said.
I  joined  the  queue  to  consult  the  doctor,
But  the  queue  grew  larger  and  larger
Yet  patience  lived  among  the  patients.
It  might  be  dusk  when  the  name  gets  called
Yet   there’s  hope  that  it  would  get  called.
Hence,  I  stood  there  with  all  my  neighbours.


The  time’s  ticking  away, faster  and  faster,
So  did  the  casualty  room  near  me  grew  larger-
With  bruises  and  fractures  and  deaths  by  night.
So  did  new  friendships  in  the  Queue-
 Starting  from  what’s  your  disease   to –
What  might  be  your  disease  tomorrow..
While  the  disease  horoscopes  and  theories  got  busy,
The  day  ran  faster  crossing  its  24hour  limits.
Finally,  my  name  was  called. “Breathe..”
I  stepped  in  and  came  out  with  a  list,
Yet  still  confused  on  whether  the  doctor-
Had  cared to  look  up  from  his  note  to  my  face.
“I  don’t  know. Still  I  got  a  list  in  my  hand.”
But  Before  stepping  out  of  the  premises,
 I  turned  back  and  offered  a  smiling  goodbye-
To  my  new-found  friends. Then,  I  stepped  out,
To  find  a  shop  working  27hours  a  day..
Because  my  day  in  the  hospital-
Had  crossed  24hours  limit,  my  friend!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment